Jet ski tie down straps are critical to safe towing of your jet ski. It's amazing how many boats end up off their trailer and on the side of the road. The Watercraft Superstore offers several styles of jet ski tie down straps.
Here is a check list of what to do before towing your jet ski
1. Make sure the coupler on your jet ski trailer securely engages your hitch.
2. Make sure the safety chains are safely secured to jet ski trailer and tow vehicle in a criss-cross fashion under the tongue.
3. Make sure the jack on the jet ski trailer is fully cranked up.
4. Make sure all fasteners / bolts are properly tightened. Pay particular attention to the lug nuts (tightened to 85 ft-lbs).
5. Make sure the jet ski is securely tied down with jet ski tie-down straps. Your winch strap is not a jet ski tie down strap. A winch controls your jet ski in a horizontal direction. Jet ski tie-down straps control your jet ski in the vertical direction. You must have bow-eye and transom tie down straps securely attached whenever the jet ski trailer is in use.
6. Make sure the tires on the jet ski trailer are properly inflated. Read the tire sidewall to determine the correct tire pressure required. This rating will be different than your tow vehicle. Also check for tire wear, cracks, bubbles or foreign objects imbedded in the tire. Bias ply trailers are not designed for speeds in excess of 65 mph.
7. Make sure brake lights and other trailer lights are working.